Making Time For Mum
Mum’s are resilient creatures, aren’t we? Always go, go, go; looking after children, working, cooking, cleaning, driving children to various activities, organising social family things. But how often do you actually take some time to sit and have some “me time”? And that doesn’t mean the flop on the couch at the end of the night after you’ve popped the children to bed. Probably not as often as you think, am I right?
I definitely needed to step up in this area as I was starting to feel a bit frazzled around the edges and felt like I wasn’t giving my best self back to my family. The first thing I needed to address was actually being ok with taking time for myself. It’s hard not to feel guilty though isn’t it? In a blog I read recently written by a Mum called Tui Fleming (blog found here), she mentions filling your cup by doing things that light you up as YOU, not as a Mummy. This was an interesting thought for me as I automatically defaulted to things that made my family happy, made me happy. This is great but Tui got you thinking about the things that lit you up before becoming a mum because you are still that person and not to feel guilty about it – full stop!
So that’s what brought me to 2019 and making this year a bit more about me so I could be the best mum and wife to our family. I’ve listed a few things that make me happy and are relatively easy to start or implement in your life. Give some a go and by all means, add more to your list!:
- Getting your hair done – leisurely! None of this whipping into the hair salon for a quick trim every 6-12 months! Book in for a full consultation and enjoy the experience! The head massages are worth their weight in gold, I tell you!
- Date night with your partner – this is super high on my list this year as we haven’t done much of it in the past. While technically not “me” time, this certainly was something we loved doing pre-children and it makes me happy. So go on, date your partner and reconnect!
- Walk with friends – simple and free!! Grab your best girlfriend(s) and have a wander on the beach or around your neighbourhood and just catch up
- Coffee or dinner with your girlfriends/antenatal group – perfect excuse to get the dads/partners on bedtime duties, pop on some heels and head out for a girl’s night or afternoon
- Start a new hobby – this can be a bit daunting but if there is something you’ve been meaning to try, then make 2019 your year to give it a whirl. Pilates/yoga, a sewing class, learning a new language, book clubs? Sign up today!
- Taking time out with a good book or magazine – another free or cheap “me-time” activity. Ideally chilling out on your bed or if you’re confident enough, take your book to your favourite café and enjoy a delicious coffee too.
There are so many other things that could be added to this list, swimming, a nice soak in the bath, gym session but these are my main ideas to explore this year. What are your “me time” activities you want to implement?
Here’s to making you a priority and giving yourself some self-love Mama’s! You totally deserve it!